Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Update

When I first got to the doctor's office, the mood was extremely grim. Dr. Mason (who is almost always upbeat with me) was very reserved. The first question I asked him was if there was any hope. He didn't really give me an answer to that, except that from what he had seen on yesterday's ultrasound, the baby looked very sick, and would not be able to survive. He repeated what had been said yesterday that they wouldn't do anything as long as the baby had a heartbeat. Then, he listened with the doppler for a heartbeat. He said then that he thought he heard one, so he wanted to do another ultrasound.
They brought the ultrasound into the room with me, and he did this one himself. He spent a lot of time looking around, and then talked to me about what he saw. The long and short of it is that yesterday, they saw too much fluid around the baby. Today, it looked better. Yesterday, the baby's heartbeat was very low. Today, it was very strong and in the normal range (actually, it was 160, which is very good). Yesterday, the baby was not moving. Today, it was moving its arms and kicking.
He said not to get false hope. We're not out of the woods. But, from what he had seen yesterday, he had already made an appointment for me to have surgery tomorrow because he did not expect to hear a heartbeat today. After today's appointment, he's cancelled that surgery.
I'll go back to see the doctor on November 25. Until then, I watch my symptoms, and we pray.
So, was today's visit a miracle? I don't know. I just really don't know. But what a difference a day makes.

No comments: